Rainwater Butler Museum
This lovely Victorian structure of Eastlake style built in 1894 is used as a House-Museum and operated by the Childersburg Historic Preservation Commission. The Butler-Harris-Rainwater Museum was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 16, 1996.
The “Rainwater House” was given to C.H. Butler as a wedding gift on January 26, 1894 by his parents, George and Marion Butler, a couple well-to-do in business in Childersburg. The elder Butlers had bought the land from Minor and Sara Cliett in 1864. Research makes it unclear when the house was placed on the land. Impressions of several people interviewed have indicated that the house could be older than 1894, perhaps the 70’s. On January 27,1993 (exactly ninety-nine years and one day after the wedding gift) the City of Childersburg bought the house from Mrs. Rainwater, through her power of attorney and granddaughter, Jan Cleveland Howard. Their plan was for the Childersburg Historic Commission to develop it into a House-useum and a museum of artifacts representing Childersburg’s long history.
Hours of Operation: call to rent
Admission Fee: Per Day at $150.00 or 3 Days at $400.00
Management: Childersburg Chamber of Commerce
You must be logged in to post a comment.