Built in 1906, the Clay County Courthouse is the highest elevated courthouse in the state of Alabama. Located on the square in Ashland, Alabama, it now houses the Hugo Black Museum. It was built in 1906 for $37,986.00 by Architect Charles Carlton of Anniston, AL as part of Harper & Barnes of Cleveland, TN. It has been part of the Historical Registry since 1976. The clock, built in 1907 by Seth Thomas, is still in working condition.
Ashland, shown on the Talladega County 1860 census as the COURT HILL voting precinct, was first known as “Center Point” because of its central location between the Talladega and Wedowee judicial centers.
In 1867, the name was changed to Ashland in honor of Henry Clay’s “Ashland Plantation” located in Lexington, Kentucky. About 1900, Ashland was chosen as the county seat and the site of the courthouse and the governing bodies of Clay County.
Located in the beautiful mountainous Piedmont Plateau, Ashland’s elevation of 1,130 feet above sea level, is the highest of any incorporated municipality in the state.